Friday, June 8, 2007

Safe Landing

Honestly...not too much to report here, but all is well. I made it to Quito and have met a bunch of good people. Continental decided to hide my luggage (read: backpack) from me for three days, so I had to make due in the interim with, uhh, the same clothes as the day before.

Acclimitization has not been overwhelming. Quito is about 2850m (9000 ft) above sea level and the change in altitude has taken some getting used to, but my head hurts more from all the Spanish that has been crammed into it than it does from the thinner air. That said, the city is surrounded by massive mountains and there are at least 2 volcanoes close by.

I´m currently living with the Proaños. Rosa, the mother, is the director of the Spanish school Vida Verde where I´m taking 6 hours of classes per day during the week. I would definitely recommend it. The other students, even the Americans, are refraining from speaking English pretty much full time. It will be tough to leave after next week, but adventures beckon.

Aside from the bars of Mariscal Sucre last night, where the female citizens of Quito (Quiteñas) practice what they call cazagringos (gringo-hunting) there has not been a lot of real excitement around here yet. But I´m sure that will change. I have, however, taken a couple of salsa lessons (gratis with the classes) that confirm that I am very, very white. Also, I stopped by a big market yesterday where they use *all* parts of the cow in plates, soups, etc. Think hoofs, brains, stomach linings...delicious).

It looks like I´ll stick around Quito until the middle or end of next week and then giddyup with some scrubby traveling. Definitely excited for the upcoming weeks!

3 comments:

Klever Girl said...

Oh, I know exactly what you mean,the fun part about those kind of meals is trying to identify what part of the cow it is! hahaha..... trés délicieux!
Cheers to good times!

Wanderer said...

Chis,

This is Mark. Tell me more about gringo hunting, stat.

-M

Anonymous said...

Christopher, this is your mother. Are you safe????